Current:Home > InvestSudan paramilitary leader says he’s committed to cease-fire, but no progress on proposed peace talks -Capitatum
Sudan paramilitary leader says he’s committed to cease-fire, but no progress on proposed peace talks
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 00:29:59
CAPE TOWN, South Africa (AP) — Sudanese paramilitary leader Gen. Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo said Thursday he was committed to a cease-fire to end the devastating war that has wrecked his country, even as fighting continues and there has been no progress on proposed peace talks between Dagalo and Sudan military chief Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan.
Dagalo, leader of the Rapid Support Forces, said in a statement following a meeting in Pretoria with South African President Cyril Ramaphosa that he had briefed Ramaphosa on the “considerable efforts taken to end this war.”
“I emphasized our unwavering commitment to cease hostilities,” Dagalo said, although he didn’t say if or when he would meet with Burhan. The warring generals agreed last month to a face-to-face meeting and to start talks over a possible cease-fire, according to the East African regional bloc IGAD.
No date or location for the talks have been announced.
During Thursday’s meeting with Dagalo, Ramaphosa said he hoped there would be an “imminent face-to-face dialogue” between Dagalo and Burhan and called for an “immediate cease-fire,” Ramaphosa’s spokesperson, Vincent Magwenya, said.
Tensions between former allies Dagalo and Burhan erupted in all-out war in mid-April in the Sudanese capital, Khartoum, and elsewhere across the country. The fighting has killed more than 12,000 people, according to the United Nations, while doctors and activists say the real death toll is higher. More than 7 million people have been forced to leave their homes.
Despite talk of a cease-fire, the conflict has intensified. Last month, 300,000 people were forced to flee their homes in a province that had become a safe haven for civilians after the RSF attacked and took the city of Wad Medani.
The RSF takeover prompted fears among Wad Medani residents that they would carry out atrocities in their city as they are accused of doing in Khartoum, and the Darfur region in western Sudan.
The U.S. State Department has said that both the RSF and the Sudanese military have committed war crimes or crimes against humanity during the nine-month conflict.
Dagalo is on a tour of African countries. He met with Kenyan President William Ruto on Wednesday following visits to Uganda, Ethiopia and Djibouti.
___
More AP Africa news: https://apnews.com/hub/africa
veryGood! (958)
Related
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Apparent samurai sword attack leaves woman dead near LA; police investigating
- ‘Twisters’ whips up $80.5 million at box office, while ‘Deadpool & Wolverine’ looms
- Summer TV game shows, ranked from worst to first
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Ten Commandments posters won't go in Louisiana classrooms until November
- Miami Dolphins' Shaq Barrett announces retirement from NFL
- Olympics 2024: Meet the U.S. Women’s Gymnastics Team Competing in Paris
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Man pleads guilty to federal charges in attack on Louisville mayoral candidate
Ranking
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- JoJo Siwa Reveals Plans for Triplets With 3 Surrogates
- Pediatric anesthesiologist accused of possessing, distributing child sexual abuse material
- As 'Twisters' hits theaters, experts warn of increasing tornado danger
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Conspiracy falsely claims there was second shooter at Trump rally on a water tower
- Team USA Basketball Showcase highlights: USA escapes upset vs. South Sudan
- Sheila Jackson Lee, longtime Texas congresswoman, dies at 74
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
JoJo Siwa Reveals Plans for Triplets With 3 Surrogates
North Carolina’s Iconic College Town Struggles to Redevelop a Toxic Coal Ash Mound
Isabella Strahan, the daughter of Michael Strahan, announces she is cancer-free
Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
Endangered tiger cubs make their public debut at zoo in Germany
Rafael Nadal reaches first final since 2022 French Open
A 12-year-old girl is accused of smothering her 8-year-old cousin over an iPhone